Tuesday, August 24, 2010

8/24/10--The Mean Streets of S.R.

Today's run: 2 miles
Week to date: 9 miles
Month to date: 54 miles

Today, I went on my first run in South Range! It's a pretty tiny town, really your classic dying UP mining town, but on the plus side, there would be very little traffic to contend with, right? I created a little loop winding through the neighborhoods and side streets, and here's what I learned:
-The last part of Seventh St that loops back out to Baltic Ave is actually the Lutheran church parking lot and driveway
-Seventh St does not go all the way to Globe, unless you want to hike through someone's backyard
-Sidewalks, when they are present, loop the block only. They do not connect with the roadway, so you must jump the curbs.
-There are a lot of dogs in this hamlet. Including Frank, the mini-daschund. And, you guessed it, no leash/tie up. Oye.

Also, whatever was wrong with my foot last week is still there. Right now, I'm in a funny contorted position: my foot is sitting on a bandanna covered bag of frozen blueberries, up on the desk so I can ice it. I am both hunched and reaching trying to get to the keyboard to blog. Oye.

OK, food time!

2 comments:

  1. Do you run exclusively on pavement, or would the snowmobile paths/old highway also interest you? The trail itself is quite flat, since it's the old roadbed, and it goes on forever. Seriously forever. I hardly ever run into anyone on them, too, so no little dogs to chase you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I've been eyeing that snowmobile trail. It literally goes right behind my apartment. Do you have any problems with the ORV drivers? I ask because the way they go flying by scares me a bit, and that's what is holding me back from trying it just yet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...