Thursday, August 26, 2010

8/26/10--Giant Hills, Focus Off-Roading, and Lift Bridges


Today's run: 4 miles
Week to date: 13 miles
Month to date: 58 miles

I had what I thought was a great, somewhat hilly 4 mile loop figured out to run today. After telling Brandon about it, he suggested that we drive it just to check it out. He had a suspicion that the route would be one that took me up a giant hill that we can see from the highway when we drive from Houghton to South Range. Weeeellll... we start driving the route, and very quickly the side street becomes a dirt road. Then, the dirt road becomes a very washed out, rutted dirt road. Then, it becomes little more than a 2-track. After about a mile of this, we come around a corner to find that his suspicion was right. A picture of this is both on my Facebook and on my Twitter. We were both absolutely cracking up by this point, both at the fact we were basically off-roading in his little Ford Focus, and at the fact that I thought I was going to run on this trail. Who knows, maybe some people do run there, but that's not what I'm going for 10 days before my first half marathon.

Anyway, after that discovery I decided to head back in to Houghton to run this morning. I needed to run to the grocery store anyway, and I knew I could find reasonable 4 mile out-and-back run. I started at the park again, ran along the Portage to the far edge of Tech's campus. It was another glorious morning, though a bit chilly. The coolest part was when I was heading back, and I was able to watch the Portage Lake Lift Bridge go up as I was running! I've seen it quite a few times when I've been up here, but it's still fun to watch it!

In other news, my foot felt better today! It didn't bug me at all until right at the very end, and even then, it was just a little sore. I think icing it is definitely helping, as is backing off on the mileage a bit. I'm also only 12 miles shy of making my goal of 70 miles on the month. It's gonna be close, I'm actually not sure if I'll make it. We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...