Friday, August 27, 2010

8/27/10--To New and Beyond

Today's run: 5 miles
Week to date: 18 miles
Month to date: 63 miles

After reading a comment on this entry, I decided to give the trail here in S.R. a chance. What did I have to lose, really, and why keep driving in to Houghton to run when I have something right in my backyard? (Literally--I can see the trail from my windows!)
The trail is the Bill Nichols ATV and Snowmobile Trail , and it is a "multi-use ATV and snowmobile trail" that runs from Houghton to Mass City, MI. Despite my initial trepidation, I was pleasantly surprised with this trail! It was really nice--shaded, well groomed, scenic, and quiet. It was just windy enough to keep it interesting (and no super long straight-aways! Ugh--I hate those!), but straight enough where you could see what was coming ahead of you. Always a plus, especially with ATVs and dirtbikes going by. I actually didn't see many, but those I did see were friendly and shared the trail well.
As for the run itself, it was OK. I was distracted by some financial worries, so it was hard to stay out of my head and focused on what I was doing. It was also said financial worries that inspired me to bump up my run from the planned 3 to a longer 5--I needed a stress reliever, and 3 miles was not going to cut it.
I also am SO CLOSE to my goal for the month, and while, yes I know I'm supposed to be tapering right now, I really really want to hit it. This 5 put me at 63 for the month, only 7 until my goal of 70 miles! I promise, I will take tomorrow off, and I can get that 7 miles in next week.

I'm also thinking about life-after-half. This half has been something I've been focused on in one way or another for the greater part of 2010. It has been what has got me out the door to run, even on days when I just wanted to stay in bed or parked at the computer. It has inspired me to take better care of my body overall, from sleeping more, to cutting back on drinking, to making far better food choices. I'm in the best shape I've been in since high school. I'm a little afraid of what comes after, because I don't have anything on the horizon. I don't want to lose the level of fitness I have right now, but I know I'll need to back off the mileage for a while after this. *sigh* I guess I'll figure out what's next when I get there. In the meantime, 7 days until the big day--time to ride the last wave of this adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...